6.23.2009

Ten Months to Three Decades

CHILDHOODMEM.001


Today is my 30th birthday. The above photo was taken 10 months into the game. I came out the day my mom was supposed to be the guest of honor at her baby shower, a month earlier than expected. I guess I didn't want to miss the party. The doctor wasn't sure I was going to make it, because I only weighed 4lbs, 5oz, and had to be in an incubator for a couple weeks. Also I had jaundice, so they had to put me under some kind of light, and put gauze over my eyes so they wouldn't get hurt. One day, while I was getting my light treatment, my uncle was standing near the observation window. Another guy walked up next to him, and asked, concernedly, if the baby with the gauze on the eyes was blind. I hear that my mom was pissed, but probably because she was already stressed out and worried that I wasn't gonna make it, and now someone was asking if I was blind. I have a lot of fat baby pictures, that when I complain about how fat of a baby I was, my mom said they made sure I ate a bunch because they thought I was going to die when I was born. Sheesh. Now look at me, walking around like I own the place... I don't know what else to say about today, other than, it doesn't seem like it took very long to get here.

On the opening of my thirtieth year, I am thankful to have the life I do, especially after jumping the gun at the beginning and almost ruining it all. I am constantly grateful to my family and friends who are my valued copilots on the roller coaster.

5 Comments:

Blogger kevin said...

oh man, solvang! I bet we crossed paths there in the early 80's and exchanged suspicious baby glances at each other.

1:05 PM, June 23, 2009  
Blogger Will Finn said...

HBD, Ito san!
Fellow Jaundice-at-birth haver
WF

8:24 PM, June 24, 2009  
Blogger The Linsley Brothers said...

Hey Liz,
I just found your blog. Congrats on the birthday. How have you been?
Paul Linsley
polijive@yahoo.com

7:03 AM, June 25, 2009  
Blogger Bob said...

Happy Birthday, Lizzito!

11:28 AM, June 25, 2009  
Blogger susu said...

believe me, you walked around like you owned the place even back then

11:29 AM, June 25, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home