5.22.2009

More Etching

NEW_PLUSH04.09.037WNEW_PLUSH04.09.039W

I've been in a crafty kind of mood this year, I guess. I was encouraged by my friend Bruce to keep goin' with the glass etching I'd been dabbling in last year. I wanted to find a reusable stencil, so I wouldn't have to repeatedly re-cut the same design with my exact-O. The last etched glass project I did involved a lot of exact-O-ing, and swear words, when the tentacles I'd cut for my contact-paper-jellyfish kept getting stuck on top of each other, and then torn by my clumsy mitts.

I finally found some reusable, vinyl stencils at Michael's, the kind that I could cut my own designs in. It comes on a clear plastic backing that you can place them on when you're done using them, like reusable stickers. During this round, I did some testing with how much Armor-Etch cream was needed for an even etching, and also with how long the cream should be left on before being rinsed, in order to ensure a lack of visible brush strokes. I'm not sure whether it adds something to see the brush strokes or not, but I'm leaning more towards no visible strokes... My process was something like this:
  • Draw design with a Tombow HB pencil (my favorite softness, and brand) onto the stencil.
  • Remove stencil to self healing mat, and place flat, so as to preserve the clear backing sheet for later.
  • Use exact-O to cut stencil.
  • Place stencil on glass.
  • Brush super heavy/thick coat of Armor-Etch cream onto stencil/glass, leave for 30 minutes.
  • Rinse.
  • Dry.
  • Remove stencil to backing sheet.
  • Enjoy newly etched glass.


  • NEW_PLUSH04.09.040WNEW_PLUSH04.09.041W


    I also messed around with some glass paint. On the squid glasses, I felt it was best to keep to the simple shape, and only used paint to detail the eyes, so they would be more visible. I had some glass jars that I cleaned and saved, to try out something a little different. I wanted to do some UPA style characters... simple etched shape, with an offset line drawing. It's a little hard to get the glass paint to resemble an ink line, most of the time I had to put it on in more than one coat, or push it around, rather than paint it on. My lines ended up a lot thicker than I had hoped. To put the paint on the glass, I waited till my glasses and jars were completely dry, let the paint dry over night, then baked the glass in the oven (it says what temp on the bottle) so that the paint would set.


    NEW_PLUSH04.09.056W
    NEW_PLUSH04.09.055W
    NEW_PLUSH04.09.054W
    NEW_PLUSH04.09.051W
    NEW_PLUSH04.09.050W

    I'm considering putting some of these, or items like these in the store... But maybe want to get a better handle on how to get the line work looking more like what I imagined.

    In case you're curious, I'm trying to sprout an avocado seedling in the amoeba jar, which is what that weird pod is, being supported by toothpicks, and cradled in water.

    2 Comments:

    Blogger John S. said...

    This is really cool.

    5:34 PM, May 22, 2009  
    Blogger Jim Mortensen said...

    These are gorgeous. Are you going to put them up on Etsy?

    11:28 AM, May 26, 2009  

    Post a Comment

    << Home