3.04.2009

NY 2009

I took a trip to Manhattan in January, and am slowly getting all the photos I took onto Flickr. It always takes me longer than I expect to edit through them. The lazy side of me is complaining constantly, about how no one cares about the levels, or cropping. Ms. Obsessive Side is a stubborn little lady, and won't hear it... Anyway, more is yet to be added, but for now

here's where you can find the set.



Here are a few of my favorites, so far:


NY_09.342

NY_09.350

NY_09.362

NY_09.122

NY_09.036

NY_09.087

NY_09.063

NY_09.265

NY_09.368



The trip was a blast. I can't really write the entire description, because there were so many things, and you would most definitely not want to read that much... Here's a bullet points version:

  • Snow in Times Square the very first night we were in Manhattan!

  • Taking the subway or train everywhere and anywhere we wanted to go.

  • Dinner at Lupa, Wallace Sean sat near us... I couldn't think of his name, so I ended up telling Kevin, "The voice of the T-Rex from Toy Story just sat down!"

  • Visited my friend and former teacher Bruce in Dobbs Ferry. Bruce pretty much knows how to do, or make, everything... Frames, paintings, tiles, faux wood finishes... But mostly he is an amazing painter, and a great friend.

  • A trip to the Whitney, to see an exhibit on William Eggleston, and coincidentally saw the Calder exhibit also... both made me feel like I have a lot more work to do in this lifetime...

  • Pizza at Stromboli's

  • Afternoon lunch at Cha-An (thanks to Mari-chan for the recommendation).

  • Drinks at the Back Room with Amid and Celia. What an awesome bar... I want to go back, if I can manage to find it again. Drinks are served in teacups, and you can warm yourself by a gigantic fireplace!

  • Randomly asked to stand nonchalantly with a group of about 8 other people in the subway for fifteen minutes, being filmed/photographed for an installation piece that supposedly will be 50 feet tall by 300 feet wide, somewhere in the UK. Supposedly I'm going to get an email telling me when I can see the piece online.

  • Hanging out with Scott C and Ian B, and having a really funny experience when trying to eat at an Indian food restaurant, that was right next door to a competing Indian food restaurant... they shared the same stoop, and literally were trying to grab customers, by the arm, from each other...


There was lots and lots of eating to be had in NY, and I limited the amount of writing on here about all the wonderful places I ate, mostly because the whole trip was so chalk full of eating. The nice thing about the cold, and the city, was that I could pig out, but would walk it off by the end of the day, and be totally ready for lots more eats the next day. On that note, I will be filling in a lot of the details about places that I ate, and enjoyed, as a guest contributor on Hugo's new food blog. If you haven't checked it out already, please do, especially if you love food, and want to know great places to go (mostly in LA, but now in NY, too).

All in all, it was a very fun trip. I hope I get a lot more opportunities to spend time in NY, it's a pretty exciting place to be.

4 Comments:

Blogger Why Edward Juan? said...

so i see you went to magnolia cupcakes right? did you wait like 1 hour or you got lucky? i get a heart attack when i eat their delicioius banana pudding. its like 1 million calories.

2:08 AM, March 05, 2009  
Blogger Becky said...

Awesome photos - I'm going to NY for the 1st time in a week & this just makes me even more excited to go! It looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing :)

12:39 PM, March 06, 2009  
Blogger susu said...

very good pictures

12:11 PM, March 09, 2009  
Blogger tirui said...

great pictures!! makes me wanna go! right now! :) i've never been.

6:13 PM, March 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home