2.17.2009

Yuki 7

YUKI7.09.056

Here is my work for Kevin's Yuki 7 project. I'm excited and honored to be part of the book/show. When Kevin first told me about the project, I thought it would be fun to see what merchandise for the Yuki 7 franchise might look like.

yukiturn

I sculpted a tiny Yuki 7 figurine out of wood, using a cordless Dremel that Santa gave me for Christmas. This is the first time I've really entered into the realm of wood carving. It was a little nerve wracking when occasionally I started to notice the smell of burning, and the noise takes a little getting used to, but I had a lot of fun. Now I just need a workshop space, it got a little messy trying to do woodcarving in the kitchen...

YUKI7.09.053w

The second thing I made using my new tools, was a Yuki 7 feather duster. This was also made using the Dremel. I had to manage some clever piecing together of different wooden pieces that I had lying around from craft-project ideas of yore, but in the end I was pleased with the result. The feathers were also something that were lying around, I think at some point I had intended to use them as hair for a puppet. It was difficult to figure out how to get the mass of them to stick in the bottom, but eventually I came up with a sturdy solution. Both the figure and the duster are painted with Cel Vinyl, and then treated with an acrylic gloss coat.

YUKI7.09.034w

Here is a picture of Kevin, and my photo studio setup. For Christmas, Santa also gave me a kit, specially designed for shooting small objects. It worked perfectly for my Yuki pieces, and I imagine that it will work pretty dang well for future toy shoots. Exciting!

YUKI7.09.031

I also like being able to see the relative scale of everything. It's pretty funny seeing that tiny figure standing around in a huge, white, fashion model tent.

The Yuki 7 project is certainly producing some great work from some great artists... be sure to keep checking Kevin's site for updates.

4 Comments:

Blogger nickwatson said...

cool!

1:37 PM, February 17, 2009  
Blogger Boogervampire said...

Nice feather duster and sweet photo kit thingy!

10:29 PM, February 24, 2009  
Blogger shannon said...

Um, so, can I call dibs on this BEFORE the show. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

8:08 PM, March 10, 2009  
Blogger Kristin said...

Love these little guys!

Santa WAS good to you. I'm so curious...what's the name of this mini photo shoot set-up. I'd like to put it on my wish list, just in case Santa decides not to give me a lump of coal this year. :D

6:48 PM, March 19, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home