12.12.2008

Once Upon This Weekend

I'm going to be in a group show this weekend. My friend, Keith Noordzy has brought together a lovely bunch of artists, at Alpha Cult in Long Beach! The theme of the show is fairy tales, and stories from my/our youth. I picked a book my mom used to read me as a kid, The Amazing Bone. Sounds like to the punchline to a joke, or the title to some XXX film, but in all seriousness, it's a great book by William Steig. Later I discover that Steig was also a wonderful cartoonist for the New Yorker, one of my favorite places to read panel comics. As a kid, those were probably my top two choices for professions: Children's book author/ illustrator, or New Yorker, panel comic artist. Here's my piece:


ALPHA_CULT_08.web01

ALPHA_CULT_08.web02


Gouache on watercolor paper, and the little plaque on it was made with a label maker and gold gouache paint.

If you get a chance, read the book. Its pretty short, and very dream-like, so it will be a short time well spent... Also my artwork and caption will make more sense if you read the book.

Here's the flyer for the show:


4 Comments:

Blogger Gerald said...

Sounds like a fun show! Good luck, that's a great piece you whipped up :D Colors are awesome.

11:42 AM, December 15, 2008  
Blogger Josh Parpan said...

Wow, that looks great Elizabeth!

11:08 PM, December 16, 2008  
Blogger Leo said...

Gorgeous stuff as always! Haven´t talked to you in forever..hope you´re doing well! Merry Christmas!

1:30 PM, December 23, 2008  
Blogger Matterhorn1959 said...

Happy Holidays Elizabeth! Thanks for all the goodness you post all year long!

9:37 AM, December 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home