2.16.2007

Contradictory Happenstance

I don't get it.



I currently am unemployed, as of last Friday. I wasn't that nervous about it before 5:00PM today because I was under the impression that it was pretty much a sure thing that I was going to be hired in a month onto another production at another studio.

I was looking forward to having a month to devote to working on my own projects (the designs to the right are for a lamp I would like to make, although the current design looks too close to the Bloo character from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, I think) getting a new, better apartment, and playing with the present that I had meant to buy myself for months now, the Nikon D40 (a fancy-pants, digital SLR, artsy camera). Also, last night I discovered this awesome post about me on the Frederator Studios Blog (thanks Eric Homan!). After I read that, I thought, "Hey! People do still love me, and admire my work, and the struggle is only downhill from here! I'll have no problem getting another job..."

This is definitely not going to be the last time that I mistake a downhill path, for a path that goes downhill, into a rocky precipice that goes as vertical as vertical can get. The job that I thought was a sure thing, is perhaps, not a sure thing anymore, and the constant theme with studios seems to be that they have one spot open for someone with more experience than me, or are not officially hiring, unless you happen to be so kick-ass that they can't risk not hiring you and having someone else who they're competing against get you first...

There is, thankfully, one personal project that I may be getting funding for, that will put me back in a place where I am happiest- making my own short films... After seeing some Random Cartoons at a screening at Nickelodeon last night, followed by the Animation Show screening last night, I feel a little reinspired...

Anywho, here's a fancy shot from my new fancy camera, to show you what I've chosen to distract myself with this week:



A close up on the ring I got from a pirate at Disneyland...

10 Comments:

Blogger Marc Crisafulli said...

Elizabeth,

It was great seeing you and meeting Kevin at the 80s show last week! I love how you portrayed the nephews with such reverence!

Hang in there.. "Everything Will Be OK"...
just like the Don Hertzfeldt cartoon of the same name!

6:47 PM, February 17, 2007  
Blogger Josh Parpan said...

Jeff Pidgeon recently did a post on your super awesome Mister Monster toy-

www.jeffpidgeon.com/labels/mr%20monster.html

So, Hurray for that!

5:33 PM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger MARILLA said...

I want blue inside..with happy sleepy face...
and I know you are f*()&^$%3678awesome cool

12:41 PM, February 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome job!

10:45 AM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Chris Battle said...

Bummer! It happens to all of us....
I try to always have a plan A, B, C, & D (D being working at Starbucks). Hang tough, Miss!

Lamp looks cool... Bloo looks like a generic ghost shape, not the other way 'round :) Just stay away from the color blue.

12:03 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger potato farm girl said...

I feel like that right now too. There always seems to be stuff going on, people interested, but then something shinier and brighter comes along and they look the other way. Keep trying, eventually something will stick, and there will be new toys and new cartoons for Mr. Monster to watch and play with.

2:57 PM, February 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^

6:21 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger roxxykristen said...

Yo dude! Amen sister. Amen.

Kristen

7:56 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Anne-arky said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:34 PM, March 01, 2007  
Blogger Anne-arky said...

I like your blog! Your artwork is super fun.

ps. Don't feel bad--none of the big studios have given me the time of day lately, either. Sometimes animation just sucks that way. :P

2:36 PM, March 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home