7.11.2006

For the Benefit of Martha and Larry Baxton


(click on the image to see it big size)


Martha Baxton is the main secretary in the Character Animation department at Cal Arts, but she is definitely much more than that to hundreds of animation students who have gone there. For many, she is one of the most loving, supportive people we looney animators have to calm us down during our most insane moments at school, and turn to at our most difficult times. Many of us heard earlier this year that she was faced with difficult times after her husband Larry suffered a stroke. My friend Zac Moncrief suggested we organize a fund raising effort to help her out, and I agreed that it was a good idea, as did many (many, many, many) others.

I am pleased to say that Theresa Cullen, Sue Kroyer, Cathlin Hidalgo-Polvani, and I have finally started the wheels in motion for a silent auction to benefit Martha and Larry Baxton. The date will be August 19th, and most likely will be held in the courtyard of the new IDT/Film Roman building, across the street from the Burbank airport. Please tell others about this, and hopefully I will have further updates regarding time, and other details. We are not sure yet whether we will be able to have online bidding, as there are concerns over the shipping of artwork and goods...

Any and all donations for auctionable items are welcome and accepted, email me for where to send or drop off things. Of course, if any one would like to help us prepare for this event, we could definitely use the help. If you would like to be on the email chain to be part of the dialogue regarding this, please feel free to email me as well.

Last, but far from least, my friend (who is my collaborator on the image above) Pen Ward and I had the idea to have a poster made to sell at the event, with the proceeds going to the Martha and Larry Baxton fund. In the same way he and I collaborated on the image above, we thought it would be fun to try it on a larger scale with as many artists as would like to participate. The idea is that we will make a big poster with a bunch of different characters on it, each character drawn by a different artist who knows Martha... All you character animation folk would have to do is send a relatively good quality scan of the character you want to be on the poster, and we would try to take care of the rest.

If you are one of the many animators/storyboard artists/designers/etc with a blog (I know there are a lot of you out there now) or a website, if you wouldn't mind, please put a link to this post on your site, so as many people as possible will know about the auction.

9 Comments:

Blogger Zac Moncrief said...

Glad to see that it's all coming together. I'll try and start on a piece, plus I'll spread the word.

THANKS

ZAc

7:49 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Edward Juan said...

Elizabeth! This is awesome! I'm glad you and pen got it together. I'll definitely spread the word. Is there anyway I can put up one or two artworks for auction as well?

9:52 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger MARILLA said...

KIKUCHAN!(>_<)
I will make artwork for auction!

11:26 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Dee C.K. said...

This is such a great idea. I was hoping it would all come together and help a friend in need. I will link this and spread the word. Can i put a piece in the auction too? or on the poster?
Cheers!
dee

3:07 PM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Mr. Kurt Nielsen said...

We'll do everything we can on our end to make sure this is a huge success. Martha has been a big part of our lives, and Larry deserves this!

-- Kurt Nielsen

9:17 PM, July 14, 2006  
Blogger potato farm girl said...

I'll drop something arty off.

3:55 PM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger Moro Rogers said...

Oh, yeah, can I put something in too?^__^

1:18 AM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Boogervampire said...

I'll donate something too. Posted the link to your entry on my website. So if anyone actually goes there they will know too.

9:40 AM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger cristina paulos said...

I'm glad someone is doing an art auction. It is something everyone in char animation department would want to be a part of. It just a little diffcult to organize at times. I wish I could give money, but I have a couple of paintings and drawings that could be put to good use.
Please send me info to where to drop of art etc.
I don't see any info here at the moment.
thanks,
c

3:28 AM, July 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home