11.08.2005

Disneyland Trippin'

Here are a few designs I've been working on for my show, kind of something to do while waiting for executive feedback. I've found that there's a lot of waiting that happens after you finish something substantial, then inevitably rushing later to finish more stuff, only to wait again.

I went to Disneyland this past Sunday. It was fun, but kind of a strange experience when you are working on something personal for them. There is stuff to buy in every corner of the park. If you lift up a rock, don't be surprised if there's a price on the bottom, and a bug underneath with a price tag attached. Now that I am working on my own show for them,

it was hard not to imagine a whole shelf of a store with products based on my work. Stuffed animals, mugs, balloons, antenna-balls, etc.
Also, I saw both kids and adults excited to see their favorite princess, the Mad Hatter, Tigger, etc., and imagined that one day, it could be a character I created that people are getting an autograph from. It's even stranger still because the characters are my family members. It's hard to imagine a caricature of my brother, mom, or dad, being led around by the paw, through giant crowds of people.
The trip to Disneyland was fun, and in some ways, made me more determined to make this show work. I want people to gather around my characters at a theme park, I want my characters to have their own float in a parade, and I want to buy stuffed animal versions of my family members! Besides all the frills, I ultimately want people to watch my show and feel both entertained, and that they gained something from it. Most importantly to me, I want it to feel like I made it, and not like anything people have seen before. I hope that I am able to pull it off. So far it's been a fun adventure, and hopefully I can ride this hot air balloon as far as I can imagine.

4 Comments:

Blogger s.e.n.a said...

Hi elizabeth!!! hehe, nice stuff..drawings...stuff...yahhh...coolio!!! ok, well cya

8:03 PM, November 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

callow.

11:05 PM, November 09, 2005  
Blogger Nick Sung said...

Hey Elisabeth-

I think that's great. I think animation needs content that authentically bears the marks of its creators--creativity, originality and sincerity are rare birds in this industry, and I think it's good that you're getting a chance to do your own thing.

I hope it works out for you!

9:32 AM, November 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading your comments about how you felt at Disneyland. YOu know how much I love those character (remember the embarasment when I called them over to our table?!) What a rad idea that there would be a live-sized character of US! Whoa! You're a great daughter!
Love,
Mom

8:35 AM, November 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home