3.01.2005

Influences

Unlike many of my fellow character animation compatriots, I didn't really come into the game knowing that much about Disney, the 9 old men, or traditional animation in general. It used to make me really nervous when anyone started to talk effusively about Marc Davis, Ward Kimball, etcetera.


AN IMAGINARY CONVERSATION: Them vs. Me 

The following is what I expected to happen: 

[Them: Person talking about a famous Disney animator that I don't know, let's say for demonstration sake that the animator's name is Walter Doe]

1) THEM

Hey! Did you see that great drawing that our animation teacher brought in?It was AMAZING!

2) ME

Oh yeah?

3) THEM

Yeah! An original from [insert name of any Disney movie from the 1960s]. Walter Doe was amazing, don't you think? I think it just shows how great he was, animating on ones with no backlight, and only one pencil, and with his feet (continues talking for 5 minutes).

4) ME

Totally. (Very quietly) Remind me again, what did he work on?

5) THEM
(looking at me in disbelief)

What? You're kidding, right?

6) ME

Uhhh... well...

7) THEM
(look of disbelief changes to one of disgust )

You're telling me you don't know who Walter Doe was?

8) ME

Yes.(head lowers in shame)

9) THEM

How did you get in this school, anyway?



SOME OF MY HEROES (from the beginning)

  • Norman McLaren
  • Oskar Fischinger
  • Frederick Back

  • Both because of and despite my Cal Arts time, I've come to know of more animators, and filmmakers to drool over. My influences are changing monthly... So this list is just about who kicked off my inspiration.

    1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi, Elizabeth. Great idea & great work; I'll be checking daily. And thanks for fixing et cetera. -- Eric

    6:13 PM, March 01, 2005  

    Post a Comment

    << Home