3.04.2005

Can I Ever Live Up to Katamari Damacy?

This weekend during my down time, I will spend some time playing my new favorite video game, Katamari Damacy. I read that it's a good game for people age 3 and up.

Lately I've been spending a lot of time wondering how the people at Namco ever came up with such an inventive idea.

The basic premise is that your Dad (the King of the Universe) got drunk one night, and accidentally tore down all the stars and planets, except for Earth. Your job-- as his tiny, green, cylinder-headed son, is to roll up as many earthly objects as you can on your ball, from which your dad will recreate all the stars and planets that he destroyed. As it gets bigger, you can roll up bigger and bigger things, like humans, cows, buildings, stadiums, etcetera.

I love the game, but I can't wrap my head around what it is exactly that makes it so appealing. One of my goals in the next few years is to come up with a project (gallery installation, animated or live action film, or whatever I can manage) that can capture the same basic essence that this game has. Any suggetions on where to start?

In the meantime, I have a universe to save...



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home